Font Size


“The original townsite for the town (of Buffalo) was laid out in 1871 and 1872 in preparation for the coming of the International & Great Northern Railroad, whose right-of-way had been previously surveyed. The elevation is 390 feet, latitude N. 31.22, longitude West 96 degrees. The townsite consisted of thirty blocks with the street parallel with the railroad on the North, being named Commerce Street and the one on the South, Railroad Street. The town was incorporated in the year 1913, and contained an area of four square miles. The first mayor of the town was Frank E. Bigham; W.T. Lyon, secretary; and R.F. Lusk was appointed City Marshall. A copy of the original town charter is on file at the City Hall.”

— History of Leon County Texas. Volume 1
Copyright Curtis Media Corporation, 1986